Re: Hunting Unused Indexes .. is it this simple ? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andy Colson
Subject Re: Hunting Unused Indexes .. is it this simple ?
Date
Autovacuum Tuning advice
List pgsql-performance
Stef Telford wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>    So, I have a nice postgreSQL server (8.4) up and running our
> database. I even managed to get master->slave going without trouble
> using the excellent skytools.. however, I want to maximize speed and the
> hot updates where possible, so, I am wanting to prune unused indexes
> from the database.
>
>    is it as simple as taking the output from ; select indexrelname from
> pg_stat_user_indexes where idx_scan = 0 and idx_tup_read = 0 and
> idx_tup_fetch = 0 ;
>
>    And  .. dropping ?
>

>    The reason I ask is, well, the count on that gives me 750 indexes
> where-as the count on all user_indexes is 1100. About 2/3rds of them are
> obsolete ? I did do an ETL from mySQL -> postgreSQL but.. that's still a
> ridiculous amount of (potentially) unused indexes.
>
>    Regards
>    Stef

Did you google that? I recall seeing some posts like that on planet
postgres.

Yea, here it is:

http://radek.cc/2009/09/05/psqlrc-tricks-indexes/

google turns up several for "postgres unused indexes".  I havent read
any of the others, not sure how good they are.

-Andy