pgsql: Lock before setting relhassubclass on RELKIND_PARTITIONED_INDEX. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Noah Misch
Subject pgsql: Lock before setting relhassubclass on RELKIND_PARTITIONED_INDEX.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Lock before setting relhassubclass on RELKIND_PARTITIONED_INDEX.

Commit 5b562644fec696977df4a82790064e8287927891 added a comment that
SetRelationHasSubclass() callers must hold this lock.  When commit
17f206fbc824d2b4b14480199ca9ff7dea417eda extended use of this column to
partitioned indexes, it didn't take the lock.  As the latter commit
message mentioned, we currently never reset a partitioned index to
relhassubclass=f.  That largely avoids harm from the lock omission.  The
cause for fixing this now is to unblock introducing a rule about locks
required to heap_update() a pg_class row.  This might cause more
deadlocks.  It gives minor user-visible benefits:

- If an ALTER INDEX SET TABLESPACE runs concurrently with ALTER TABLE
  ATTACH PARTITION or CREATE PARTITION OF, one transaction blocks
  instead of failing with "tuple concurrently updated".  (Many cases of
  DDL concurrency still fail that way.)

- Match ALTER INDEX ATTACH PARTITION in choosing to lock the index.

While not user-visible today, we'll need this if we ever make something
set the flag to false for a partitioned index, like ANALYZE does today
for tables.  Back-patch to v12 (all supported versions), the plan for
the commit relying on the new rule.  In back branches, add
LockOrStrongerHeldByMe() instead of adding a LockHeldByMe() parameter.

Reviewed (in an earlier version) by Robert Haas.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20240611024525.9f.nmisch@google.com

Branch
------
REL_14_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/578db9c9257de00ee695d670fb7d62b295467fe8

Modified Files
src/backend/catalog/index.c      |  1 +
src/backend/commands/indexcmds.c |  3 +++
src/backend/commands/tablecmds.c | 16 +++++++++++++--
src/backend/storage/lmgr/lmgr.c  | 40 ++++++++++++++++--------------------
src/backend/storage/lmgr/lock.c  | 44 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----
src/include/storage/lmgr.h       |  2 ++
src/include/storage/lock.h       |  1 +