pgsql: Reject attempts to alter composite types used in indexes. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Reject attempts to alter composite types used in indexes.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Reject attempts to alter composite types used in indexes.

find_composite_type_dependencies() ignored indexes, which is a poor
decision because an expression index could have a stored column of
a composite (or other container) type even when the underlying table
does not.  Teach it to detect such cases and error out.  We have to
work a bit harder than for other relations because the pg_depend entry
won't identify the specific index column of concern, but it's not much
new code.

This does not address bug #17872's original complaint that dropping
a column in such a type might lead to violations of the uniqueness
property that a unique index is supposed to ensure.  That seems of
much less concern to me because it won't lead to crashes.

Per bug #17872 from Alexander Lakhin.  Back-patch to all supported
branches.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/17872-d0fbb799dc3fd85d@postgresql.org

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a3c9d35ae168864bf7999b06e27dabe65a0915e9

Modified Files
src/backend/commands/tablecmds.c          | 56 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----
src/test/regress/expected/alter_table.out | 10 +++++-
src/test/regress/sql/alter_table.sql      | 11 +++++-