pgsql: amcheck: Tighten up validation of redirect line pointers. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Robert Haas
Subject pgsql: amcheck: Tighten up validation of redirect line pointers.
Date
List pgsql-committers
amcheck: Tighten up validation of redirect line pointers.

Commit bbc1376b39627c6bddd8a0dc0a7dda24c91a97a0 added a new lp_valid[]
array which records whether or not a line pointer was thought to be
valid, but entries could sometimes get set to true in cases where that
wasn't actually safe. Fix that.

Suppose A is a redirect line pointer and B is the other line pointer
to which it points.  The old code could mishandle this situation in a
couple of different ways.  First, if B was unused, we'd complain about
corruption but still set lp_valid[A] = true, causing later code
to try to access the B as if it were pointing to a tuple. Second,
if B was dead, we wouldn't complain about corruption at all, which is
an oversight, and would also set lp_valid[A] = true, which would
again confuse later code. Fix all that.

In the case where B is a redirect, the old code was correct, but
refactor things a bit anyway so that all of these cases are handled
more symmetrically. Also add an Assert() and some comments.

Andres Freund and Robert Haas

Discussion: http://postgr.es/m/20230323172607.y3lejpntjnuis5vv%40awork3.anarazel.de

Branch
------