pgsql: Reject bogus output from uuid_create(3). - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Reject bogus output from uuid_create(3).
Date
List pgsql-committers
Reject bogus output from uuid_create(3).

When using the BSD UUID functions, contrib/uuid-ossp expects
uuid_create() to produce a version-1 UUID.  FreeBSD still does so,
but in recent NetBSD releases that function produces a version-4
(random) UUID instead.  That's not acceptable for our purposes:
if the user wanted v4 she would have asked for v4, not v1.
Hence, check the version digit and complain if it's not '1'.

Also drop the documentation's claim that the NetBSD implementation
is usable.  It might be, depending on which OS version you're using,
but we're not going to get into that kind of detail.

(Maybe someday we should ditch all these external libraries
and just write our own UUID code, but today is not that day.)

Nazir Bilal Yavuz, with cosmetic adjustments and docs by me.
Backpatch to all supported versions.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/3848059.1661038772@sss.pgh.pa.us
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/17358-89806e7420797025@postgresql.org

Branch
------
REL_13_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a61095aa7946ffe6959279a32813681b53afb60e

Modified Files
contrib/uuid-ossp/uuid-ossp.c  | 12 ++++++++++++
doc/src/sgml/installation.sgml |  2 +-
doc/src/sgml/uuid-ossp.sgml    |  2 +-