pgsql: Be smarter about freeing tuples during tuplesorts - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From David Rowley
Subject pgsql: Be smarter about freeing tuples during tuplesorts
Date
List pgsql-committers
Be smarter about freeing tuples during tuplesorts

During dumptuples() the call to writetuple() would pfree any non-null
tuple.  This was quite wasteful as this happens just before we perform a
reset of the context which stores all of those tuples.

It seems to make sense to do a bit of a code refactor to make this work,
so here we just get rid of the writetuple function and adjust the WRITETUP
macro to call the state's writetup function.  The WRITETUP usage in
mergeonerun() always has state->slabAllocatorUsed == true, so writetuple()
would never free the tuple or do any memory accounting.  The only call
path that needs memory accounting done is in dumptuples(), so let's just
do it manually there.

In passing, let's get rid of the state->memtupcount-- code that counts the
memtupcount down to 0 one tuple at a time inside the loop.  That seems to
be a rather inefficient way to set memtupcount to 0, so let's just zero it
after the loop instead.

Author: David Rowley
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CAApHDvqZXoDCyrfCzZJR0-xH+7_q+GgitcQiYXUjRani7h4j8Q@mail.gmail.com

Branch