pgsql: Fix risk of deadlock failure while dropping a partitioned index. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Fix risk of deadlock failure while dropping a partitioned index.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Fix risk of deadlock failure while dropping a partitioned index.

DROP INDEX needs to lock the index's table before the index itself,
else it will deadlock against ordinary queries that acquire the
relation locks in that order.  This is correctly mechanized for
plain indexes by RangeVarCallbackForDropRelation; but in the case of
a partitioned index, we neglected to lock the child tables in advance
of locking the child indexes.  We can fix that by traversing the
inheritance tree and acquiring the needed locks in RemoveRelations,
after we have acquired our locks on the parent partitioned table and

While at it, do some refactoring to eliminate confusion between
the actual and expected relkind in RangeVarCallbackForDropRelation.
We can save a couple of syscache lookups too, by having that function
pass back info that RemoveRelations will need.

Back-patch to v11 where partitioned indexes were added.

Jimmy Yih, Gaurab Dey, Tom Lane

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/BYAPR05MB645402330042E17D91A70C12BD5F9@BYAPR05MB6454.namprd05.prod.outlook.com

Branch
------
REL_12_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d8d378d5100fe5166c981a88ada55b631777fde4

Modified Files
src/backend/commands/tablecmds.c                   |  61 +++++++++----
.../expected/partition-drop-index-locking.out      | 100 +++++++++++++++++++++
src/test/isolation/isolation_schedule              |   1 +
.../specs/partition-drop-index-locking.spec        |  47 ++++++++++