pgsql: Fix planner error with multiple copies of an AlternativeSubPlan. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Fix planner error with multiple copies of an AlternativeSubPlan.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Fix planner error with multiple copies of an AlternativeSubPlan.

It's possible for us to copy an AlternativeSubPlan expression node
into multiple places, for example the scan quals of several
partition children.  Then it's possible that we choose a different
one of the alternatives as optimal in each place.  Commit 41efb8340
failed to consider this scenario, so its attempt to remove "unused"
subplans could remove subplans that were still used elsewhere.

Fix by delaying the removal logic until we've examined all the
AlternativeSubPlans in a given query level.  (This does assume that
AlternativeSubPlans couldn't get copied to other query levels, but
for the foreseeable future that's fine; cf qual_is_pushdown_safe.)

Per report from Rajkumar Raghuwanshi.  Back-patch to v14
where the faulty logic came in.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CAKcux6==O3NNZC3bZ2prRYv3cjm3_Zw1GfzmOjEVqYN4jub2+Q@mail.gmail.com

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e8638d78a2cb94efba11a5dfbf3e7cd746d0af3e

Modified Files
src/backend/optimizer/plan/setrefs.c    | 71 ++++++++++++++++++++++-----------
src/include/nodes/pathnodes.h           |  4 ++
src/test/regress/expected/subselect.out | 40 +++++++++++++++++++
src/test/regress/sql/subselect.sql      | 12 ++++++