pgsql: Let regexp_replace() make use of REG_NOSUB when feasible. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Let regexp_replace() make use of REG_NOSUB when feasible.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Let regexp_replace() make use of REG_NOSUB when feasible.

If the replacement string doesn't contain \1...\9, then we don't
need sub-match locations, so we can use the REG_NOSUB optimization
here too.  There's already a pre-scan of the replacement string
to look for backslashes, so extend that to check for digits, and
refactor to allow that to happen before we compile the regexp.

While at it, try to speed up the pre-scan by using memchr() instead
of a handwritten loop.  It's likely that this is lost in the noise
compared to the regexp processing proper, but maybe not.  In any
case, this coding is shorter.

Also, add some test cases to improve the poor coverage of
appendStringInfoRegexpSubstr().

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/3534632.1628536485@sss.pgh.pa.us

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/18bac60ede44359a1e577df80aef196e371c902e

Modified Files
src/backend/utils/adt/regexp.c        |  23 +++-----
src/backend/utils/adt/varlena.c       | 101 ++++++++++++++++++----------------
src/include/utils/varlena.h           |   3 +-
src/test/regress/expected/strings.out |  21 ++++++-
src/test/regress/sql/strings.sql      |   7 ++-