pgsql: Fix use-after-free issue in regexp engine. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Fix use-after-free issue in regexp engine.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Fix use-after-free issue in regexp engine.

Commit cebc1d34e taught parseqatom() to optimize cases where a branch
contains only one, "messy", atom by getting rid of excess subRE nodes.
The way we really should do that is to keep the subRE built for the
"messy" child atom; but to avoid changing parseqatom's nominal API,
I made it delete that node after copying its fields to the outer subRE
made by parsebranch().  It seems that that actually worked at the time;
but it became dangerous after ea1268f63, because that later commit
allowed the lower invocation of parse() to return a subRE that was also
pointed to by some v->subs[] entry.  This meant we could wind up with a
dangling pointer in v->subs[], allowing a later backref to misbehave,
but only if that subRE struct had been reused in between.  So the damage
seems confined to cases like '((...))...(...\2'.

To fix, do what I should have done before and modify parseqatom's API
to make it possible for it to remove the caller's subRE instead of the
callee's.  That's safer because we know that subRE isn't complete yet,
so noplace else will have a pointer to it.

Per report from Mark Dilger.  Back-patch to v14 where the problematic
patches came in.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/0203588E-E609-43AF-9F4F-902854231EE7@enterprisedb.com

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cc1868799c8311ed1cc3674df2c5e1374c914deb

Modified Files
src/backend/regex/regcomp.c                        | 130 ++++++++++-----------
.../modules/test_regex/expected/test_regex.out     |   8 ++
src/test/modules/test_regex/sql/test_regex.sql     |   2 +