pgsql: Avoid doing catalog lookups in postgres_fdw's conversion_error_c - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Avoid doing catalog lookups in postgres_fdw's conversion_error_c
Date
List pgsql-committers
Avoid doing catalog lookups in postgres_fdw's conversion_error_callback.

As in 50371df26, this is a bad idea since the callback can't really
know what error is being thrown and thus whether or not it is safe
to attempt catalog accesses.  Rather than pushing said accesses into
the mainline code where they'd usually be a waste of cycles, we can
look at the query's rangetable instead.

This change does mean that we'll be printing query aliases (if any
were used) rather than the table or column's true name.  But that
doesn't seem like a bad thing: it's certainly a more useful definition
in self-join cases, for instance.  In any case, it seems unlikely that
any applications would be depending on this detail, so it seems safe
to change.

Patch by me.  Original complaint by Andres Freund; Bharath Rupireddy
noted the connection to conversion_error_callback.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20210106020229.ne5xnuu6wlondjpe@alap3.anarazel.de

Branch
------
REL_11_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a9460dbf1577da440aa8c947d97b04875f61aee5

Modified Files
contrib/postgres_fdw/expected/postgres_fdw.out | 14 +++--
contrib/postgres_fdw/postgres_fdw.c            | 82 ++++++++++++--------------
contrib/postgres_fdw/sql/postgres_fdw.sql      |  8 ++-