pgsql: Tidy up more loose ends related to configurable TOAST compressio - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Robert Haas
Subject pgsql: Tidy up more loose ends related to configurable TOAST compressio
Date
List pgsql-committers
Tidy up more loose ends related to configurable TOAST compression.

Change the default_toast_compression GUC to be an enum rather than
a string. Earlier, uncommitted versions of the patch supported using
CREATE ACCESS METHOD to add new compression methods to a running
system, but that idea was dropped before commit. So, we can simplify
the GUC handling as well, which has the nice side effect of improving
the error messages.

While updating the documentation to reflect the new GUC type, also
move it back to the right place in the list. I moved this while
revising what became commit 24f0e395ac5892cd12e8914646fe921fac5ba23d,
but apparently the intended ordering is "alphabetical" rather than
"whatever Robert thinks looks nice."

Rejigger things to avoid having access/toast_compression.h depend on
utils/guc.h, so that we don't end up with every file that includes
it also depending on something largely unrelated. Move a few
inline functions back into the C source file partly to help reduce
dependencies and partly just to avoid clutter. A few very minor
cosmetic fixes.

Original patch by Justin Pryzby, but very heavily edited by me,
and reverse reviewed by him and also reviewed by by Tom Lane.

Discussion: http://postgr.es/m/CA+TgmoYp=GT_ztUCeZg2i4hkHAQv8o=-nVJ1-TKWTG1zQOmOpg@mail.gmail.com

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e5595de03ec6ce60afde980ae05e9353a1501fdf

Modified Files
doc/src/sgml/config.sgml                      | 44 +++++++--------
src/backend/access/common/toast_compression.c | 74 ++++++++++++------------
src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c                  | 30 ++++++----
src/include/access/toast_compression.h        | 81 ++++++++-------------------
src/test/regress/expected/compression.out     |  4 +-
src/test/regress/expected/compression_1.out   |  9 ++-