pgsql: Use mode "r" for popen() in psql's evaluate_backtick(). - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Use mode "r" for popen() in psql's evaluate_backtick().
Date
List pgsql-committers
Use mode "r" for popen() in psql's evaluate_backtick().

In almost all other places, we use plain "r" or "w" mode in popen()
calls (the exceptions being for COPY data).  This one has been
overlooked (possibly because it's buried in a ".l" flex file?),
but it's using PG_BINARY_R.

Kensuke Okamura complained in bug #16688 that we fail to strip \r
when stripping the trailing newline from a backtick result string.
That's true enough, but we'd also fail to convert embedded \r\n
cleanly, which also seems undesirable.  Fixing the popen() mode
seems like the best way to deal with this.

It's been like this for a long time, so back-patch to all supported
branches.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/16688-c649c7b69cd7e6f8@postgresql.org

Branch
------