pgsql: In INSERT/UPDATE, use the table's real tuple descriptor as targe - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: In INSERT/UPDATE, use the table's real tuple descriptor as targe
Date
List pgsql-committers
In INSERT/UPDATE, use the table's real tuple descriptor as target.

Previously, ExecInitModifyTable relied on ExecInitJunkFilter,
and thence ExecCleanTypeFromTL, to build the target descriptor from
the query tlist.  While we just checked (in ExecCheckPlanOutput)
that the tlist produces compatible output, this is not a great
substitute for the relation's actual tuple descriptor that's
available from the relcache.  For one thing, dropped columns will
not be correctly marked attisdropped; it's a bit surprising that
we've gotten away with that this long.  But the real reason for
being concerned with this is that using the table's descriptor means
that the slot will have correct attrmissing data, allowing us to
revert the klugy fix of commit ba9f18abd.  (This commit undoes
that one's changes in trigger.c, but keeps the new test case.)
Thus we can solve the bogus-trigger-tuple problem with fewer cycles
rather than more.

No back-patch, since this doesn't fix any additional bug, and it
seems somewhat more likely to have unforeseen side effects than
ba9f18abd's narrow fix.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/16644-5da7ef98a7ac4545@postgresql.org

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/20d3fe9009ddbbbb3da3a2da298f922054b43f8c

Modified Files
src/backend/commands/trigger.c         | 38 +-----------------------------
src/backend/executor/execJunk.c        | 42 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------
src/backend/executor/nodeModifyTable.c | 22 ++++++++++++++----
src/include/executor/executor.h        |  3 +++