pgsql: Fix connection string handling in src/bin/scripts/ programs. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Fix connection string handling in src/bin/scripts/ programs.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Fix connection string handling in src/bin/scripts/ programs.

When told to process all databases, clusterdb, reindexdb, and vacuumdb
would reconnect by replacing their --maintenance-db parameter with the
name of the target database.  If that parameter is a connstring (which
has been allowed for a long time, though we failed to document that
before this patch), we'd lose any other options it might specify, for
example SSL or GSS parameters, possibly resulting in failure to connect.
Thus, this is the same bug as commit a45bc8a4f fixed in pg_dump and
pg_restore.  We can fix it in the same way, by using libpq's rules for
handling multiple "dbname" parameters to add the target database name
separately.  I chose to apply the same refactoring approach as in that
patch, with a struct to handle the command line parameters that need to
be passed through to connectDatabase.  (Maybe someday we can unify the
very similar functions here and in pg_dump/pg_restore.)

Per Peter Eisentraut's comments on bug #16604.  Back-patch to all
supported branches.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/16604-933f4b8791227b15@postgresql.org

Branch
------
REL_11_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5a9f99bed8cbd4a2aafaedbf464eedf9ae9e73a8

Modified Files
--------------
doc/src/sgml/ref/clusterdb.sgml | 20 +++++----
doc/src/sgml/ref/createdb.sgml  |  3 ++
doc/src/sgml/ref/dropdb.sgml    |  3 ++
doc/src/sgml/ref/reindexdb.sgml | 20 +++++----
doc/src/sgml/ref/vacuumdb.sgml  | 20 +++++----
src/bin/scripts/clusterdb.c     | 67 ++++++++++++++-----------------
src/bin/scripts/common.h        | 26 ++++++++----
src/bin/scripts/createdb.c      | 11 ++++-
src/bin/scripts/createuser.c    | 11 ++++-
src/bin/scripts/dropdb.c        | 12 ++++--
src/bin/scripts/dropuser.c      | 13 ++++--
src/bin/scripts/reindexdb.c     | 85 +++++++++++++++++++--------------------
src/bin/scripts/vacuumdb.c      | 70 ++++++++++++++------------------