pgsql: Fix memory leak when guc.c decides a setting can't be applied no - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Fix memory leak when guc.c decides a setting can't be applied no
Date
List pgsql-committers
Fix memory leak when guc.c decides a setting can't be applied now.

The prohibitValueChange code paths in set_config_option(), which
are executed whenever we re-read a PGC_POSTMASTER variable from
postgresql.conf, neglected to free anything before exiting.  Thus
we'd leak the proposed new value of a PGC_STRING variable, as noted
by BoChen in bug #16666.  For all variable types, if the check hook
creates an "extra" chunk, we'd also leak that.

These are malloc not palloc chunks, so there is no mechanism for
recovering the leaks before process exit.  Fortunately, the values
are typically not very large, meaning you'd have to go through an
awful lot of SIGHUP configuration-reload cycles to make the leakage
amount to anything.  Still, for a long-lived postmaster process it
could potentially be a problem.

Oversight in commit 2594cf0e8.  Back-patch to all supported branches.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/16666-2c41a4eec61b03e1@postgresql.org

Branch
------
REL_11_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cfa4cff30c3021597473178e1c6c5592f6437119

Modified Files
src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c | 32 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--