pgsql: Mark factorial operator, and postfix operators in general, as de - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Mark factorial operator, and postfix operators in general, as de
Date
List pgsql-committers
Mark factorial operator, and postfix operators in general, as deprecated.

Per discussion, we're planning to remove parser support for postfix
operators in order to simplify the grammar.  So it behooves us to
put out a deprecation notice at least one release before that.

There is only one built-in postfix operator, ! for factorial.
Label it deprecated in the docs and in pg_description, and adjust
some examples that formerly relied on it.  (The sister prefix
operator !! is also deprecated.  We don't really have to remove
that one, but since we're suggesting that people use factorial()
instead, it seems better to remove both operators.)

Also state in the CREATE OPERATOR ref page that postfix operators
in general are going away.

Although this changes the initial contents of pg_description,
I did not force a catversion bump; it doesn't seem essential.

In v13, also back-patch 4c5cf5431, so that there's someplace for
the <link>s to point to.

Mark Dilger and John Naylor, with some adjustments by me

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/BE2DF53D-251A-4E26-972F-930E523580E9@enterprisedb.com

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6ca547cf75ef6e922476c51a3fb5e253eef5f1b6

Modified Files
doc/src/sgml/func.sgml                |  6 ++++--
doc/src/sgml/ref/create_operator.sgml |  9 ++++++++-
doc/src/sgml/syntax.sgml              | 23 ++---------------------
doc/src/sgml/typeconv.sgml            | 17 ++++++++---------
src/include/catalog/pg_operator.dat   |  4 ++--
src/include/catalog/pg_proc.dat       |  1 +