pgsql: Support testing of cases where table schemas change after planni - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Support testing of cases where table schemas change after planni
Date
List pgsql-committers
Support testing of cases where table schemas change after planning.

We have various cases where we allow DDL on tables to be performed with
less than full AccessExclusiveLock.  This requires concurrent queries
to be able to cope with the DDL change mid-flight, but up to now we had
no repeatable way to test such cases.  To improve that, invent a test
module that allows halting a backend after planning and then resuming
execution once we've done desired actions in another session.  (The same
approach could be used to inject delays in other places, if there's a
suitable hook available.)

This commit includes a single test case, which is meant to exercise the
previously-untestable ExecCreatePartitionPruneState code repaired by
commit 7a980dfc6.  We'd probably not bother with this if that were the
only foreseen benefit, but I expect additional test cases will use this
infrastructure in the future.

Test module by Andy Fan, partition-addition test case by me.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20200802181131.GA27754@telsasoft.com

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6f0b632f083ba08fabb6c496caf733802cee9d2e

Modified Files
src/test/modules/Makefile                          |   1 +
src/test/modules/delay_execution/.gitignore        |   3 +
src/test/modules/delay_execution/Makefile          |  21 +++++
src/test/modules/delay_execution/delay_execution.c | 104 +++++++++++++++++++++
.../expected/partition-addition.out                |  21 +++++
.../delay_execution/specs/partition-addition.spec  |  38 ++++++++
6 files changed, 188 insertions(+)