pgsql: Cope with lateral references in the quals of a subquery RTE. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Cope with lateral references in the quals of a subquery RTE.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Cope with lateral references in the quals of a subquery RTE.

The qual pushdown logic assumed that all Vars in a restriction clause
must be Vars referencing subquery outputs; but since we introduced
LATERAL, it's possible for such a Var to be a lateral reference instead.
This led to an assertion failure in debug builds.  In a non-debug
build, there might be no ill effects (if qual_is_pushdown_safe decided
the qual was unsafe anyway), or we could get failures later due to
construction of an invalid plan.  I've not gone to much length to
characterize the possible failures, but at least segfaults in the
executor have been observed.

Given that this has been busted since 9.3 and it took this long for
anybody to notice, I judge that the case isn't worth going to great
lengths to optimize.  Hence, fix by just teaching qual_is_pushdown_safe
that such quals are unsafe to push down, matching the previous behavior
when it accidentally didn't fail.

Per report from Tom Ellis.  Back-patch to all supported branches.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20200713175124.GQ8220@cloudinit-builder

Branch
------
REL_10_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6443cd2e242175890ede181b96bf47b0d9b259ce

Modified Files
src/backend/optimizer/path/allpaths.c   | 20 +++++++++++--
src/test/regress/expected/subselect.out | 53 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
src/test/regress/sql/subselect.sql      | 26 ++++++++++++++++