pgsql: Micro-optimize AllocSetFreeIndex() by reference to pg_bitutils c - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Micro-optimize AllocSetFreeIndex() by reference to pg_bitutils c
Date
List pgsql-committers
Micro-optimize AllocSetFreeIndex() by reference to pg_bitutils code.

Use __builtin_clz() where available.  Where it isn't, we can still win
a little by using the pg_leftmost_one_pos[] lookup table instead of
having a private table.

Also drop the initial right shift by ALLOC_MINBITS in favor of
subtracting ALLOC_MINBITS from the leftmost-one-pos result.  This
is a win because the compiler can fold that adjustment into other
constants it'd have to add anyway, making the shift-removal free.

Also, we can explain this coding as an unrolled form of
pg_leftmost_one_pos32(), even though that's a bit ahistorical
since it long predates pg_bitutils.h.

John Naylor, with some cosmetic adjustments by me

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CACPNZCuNUGMxjK7WTn_=WZnRbfASDdBxmjsVf2+m9MdmeNw_sg@mail.gmail.com

Branch
------
master