pgsql: Fix error reporting for index expressions of prohibited types. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Fix error reporting for index expressions of prohibited types.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Fix error reporting for index expressions of prohibited types.

If CheckAttributeType() threw an error about the datatype of an
index expression column, it would report an empty column name,
which is pretty unhelpful and certainly not the intended behavior.
I (tgl) evidently broke this in commit cfc5008a5, by not noticing
that the column's attname was used above where I'd placed the
assignment of it.

In HEAD and v12, this is trivially fixable by moving up the
assignment of attname.  Before v12 the code is a bit more messy;
to avoid doing substantial refactoring, I took the lazy way out
and just put in two copies of the assignment code.

Report and patch by Amit Langote.  Back-patch to all supported
branches.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CA+HiwqFA+BGyBFimjiYXXMa2Hc3fcL0+OJOyzUNjhU4NCa_XXw@mail.gmail.com

Branch
------
REL_11_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/fc449abc3dccc06b01783bcdb2c348c8ef670ccd

Modified Files
src/backend/catalog/index.c                | 24 ++++++++++++-------
src/test/regress/expected/create_index.out | 37 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
src/test/regress/sql/create_index.sql      | 12 ++++++++++