pgsql: Doc: improve documentation around jsonpath regular expressions. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Doc: improve documentation around jsonpath regular expressions.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Doc: improve documentation around jsonpath regular expressions.

Provide some documentation about the differences between XQuery
regular expressions and those supported by Spencer's regex engine.
Since SQL now exposes XQuery regexps with the LIKE_REGEX operator,
I made this a standalone section designed to help somebody who
has to translate a LIKE_REGEX query to Postgres.  (Eventually we might
extend Spencer's engine to allow precise implementation of XQuery,
but not today.)

Reference that in the jsonpath docs, provide definitions of the
XQuery flag letters, and add a description of the JavaScript-inspired
string literal syntax used within jsonpath.  Also point out explicitly
that backslashes used within like_regex patterns will need to be doubled.

This also syncs the docs with the decision implemented in commit
d5b90cd64 to desupport XQuery's 'x' flag for now.

Jonathan Katz and Tom Lane

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CAPpHfdvDci4iqNF9fhRkTqhe-5_8HmzeLt56drH%2B_Rv2rNRqfg@mail.gmail.com

Branch
------