pgsql: Fix contrib/auto_explain to not cause problems in parallelworke - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Fix contrib/auto_explain to not cause problems in parallelworke
Date
List pgsql-committers
Fix contrib/auto_explain to not cause problems in parallel workers.

A parallel worker process should not be making any decisions of its
own about whether to auto-explain.  If the parent session process
passed down flags asking for instrumentation data, do that, otherwise
not.  Trying to enable instrumentation anyway leads to bugs like the
"could not find key N in shm TOC" failure reported in bug #15821
from Christian Hofstaedtler.

We can implement this cheaply by piggybacking on the existing logic
for not doing anything when we've chosen not to sample a statement.

While at it, clean up some tin-eared coding related to the sampling
feature, including an off-by-one error that meant that asking for 1.0
sampling rate didn't actually result in sampling every statement.

Although the specific case reported here only manifested in >= v11,
I believe that related misbehaviors can be demonstrated in any version
that has parallel query; and the off-by-one error is certainly there
back to 9.6 where that feature was added.  So back-patch to 9.6.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/15821-5eb422e980594075@postgresql.org

Branch
------
REL_11_STABLE