pgsql: Scan GiST indexes in physical order during VACUUM. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject pgsql: Scan GiST indexes in physical order during VACUUM.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Scan GiST indexes in physical order during VACUUM.

Scanning an index in physical order is faster than walking it in logical
order, because sequential I/O is faster than random I/O. The idea and code
structure is borrowed from B-tree vacuum code.

Patch by Andrey Borodin, with changes by me. Based on early work by
Konstantin Kuznetsov, although the patch has been rewritten multiple times
since his original version.

Discussion: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1B9FAC6F-FA19-4A24-8C1B-F4F574844892%40yandex-team.ru

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/fe280694d0d49e3d5f2666042b5e9ff0c8305341

Modified Files
src/backend/access/gist/gist.c       |  10 +-
src/backend/access/gist/gistvacuum.c | 472 +++++++++++++++++++++--------------