pgsql: Use perfect hashing, instead of binary search,for keyword looku - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Use perfect hashing, instead of binary search,for keyword looku
Date
List pgsql-committers
Use perfect hashing, instead of binary search, for keyword lookup.

We've been speculating for a long time that hash-based keyword lookup
ought to be faster than binary search, but up to now we hadn't found
a suitable tool for generating the hash function.  Joerg Sonnenberger
provided the inspiration, and sample code, to show us that rolling our
own generator wasn't a ridiculous idea.  Hence, do that.

The method used here requires a lookup table of approximately 4 bytes
per keyword, but that's less than what we saved in the predecessor commit
afb0d0712, so it's not a big problem.  The time savings is indeed
significant: preliminary testing suggests that the total time for raw
parsing (flex + bison phases) drops by ~20%.

Patch by me, but it owes its existence to Joerg Sonnenberger;
thanks also to John Naylor for review.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20190103163340.GA15803@britannica.bec.de

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c64d0cd5ce24a344798534f1bc5827a9199b7a6e

Modified Files
--------------
src/common/Makefile                       |   9 +-
src/common/kwlookup.c                     |  73 +++---
src/include/common/kwlookup.h             |   4 +
src/include/parser/kwlist.h               |   3 +-
src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/Makefile      |  13 +-
src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/c_keywords.c  |  51 ++--
src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/c_kwlist.h    |   3 +-
src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/ecpg_kwlist.h |   3 +-
src/pl/plpgsql/src/Makefile               |  13 +-
src/pl/plpgsql/src/pl_reserved_kwlist.h   |   5 +-
src/pl/plpgsql/src/pl_unreserved_kwlist.h |   7 +-
src/tools/PerfectHash.pm                  | 376 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
src/tools/gen_keywordlist.pl              |  53 ++++-
src/tools/msvc/Solution.pm                |  10 +-