pgsql: Repair bogus handling of multi-assignment Params in upper planl - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Repair bogus handling of multi-assignment Params in upper planl
Date
List pgsql-committers
Repair bogus handling of multi-assignment Params in upper plan levels.

Our support for multiple-set-clauses in UPDATE assumes that the Params
referencing a MULTIEXPR_SUBLINK SubPlan will appear before that SubPlan
in the targetlist of the plan node that calculates the updated row.
(Yeah, it's a hack...)  In some PG branches it's possible that a Result
node gets inserted between the primary calculation of the update tlist
and the ModifyTable node.  setrefs.c did the wrong thing in this case
and left the upper-level Params as Params, causing a crash at runtime.
What it should do is replace them with "outer" Vars referencing the child
plan node's output.  That's a result of careless ordering of operations
in fix_upper_expr_mutator, so we can fix it just by reordering the code.

Fix fix_join_expr_mutator similarly for consistency, even though join
nodes could never appear in such a context.  (In general, it seems
likely to be a bit cheaper to use Vars than Params in such situations
anyway, so this patch might offer a tiny performance improvement.)

The hazard extends back to 9.5 where the MULTIEXPR_SUBLINK stuff
was introduced, so back-patch that far.  However, this may be a live
bug only in 9.6.x and 10.x, as the other branches don't seem to want
to calculate the final tlist below the Result node.  (That plan shape
change between branches might be a mini-bug in itself, but I'm not
really interested in digging into the reasons for that right now.
Still, add a regression test memorializing what we expect there,
so we'll notice if it changes again.)

Per bug report from Eduards Bezverhijs.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/b6cd572a-3e44-8785-75e9-c512a5a17a73@tieto.com

Branch
------
REL_10_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f9f63ed1f2e5c654926fdb44beabab8ff28e0387

Modified Files
src/backend/optimizer/plan/setrefs.c | 24 +++++++++++++-----------
src/test/regress/expected/update.out | 31 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
src/test/regress/sql/update.sql      | 10 ++++++++++