[COMMITTERS] pgsql: Assert that we don't invent relfilenodes or type OIDs inbinary - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Assert that we don't invent relfilenodes or type OIDs inbinary
Date
List pgsql-committers
Assert that we don't invent relfilenodes or type OIDs in binary upgrade.

During pg_upgrade's restore run, all relfilenode choices should be
overridden by commands in the dump script.  If we ever find ourselves
choosing a relfilenode in the ordinary way, someone blew it.  Likewise for
pg_type OIDs.  Since pg_upgrade might well succeed anyway, if there happens
not to be a conflict during the regression test run, we need assertions
here to keep us on the straight and narrow.

We might someday be able to remove the assertion in GetNewRelFileNode,
if pg_upgrade is rewritten to remove its assumption that old and new
relfilenodes always match.  But it's hard to see how to get rid of the
pg_type OID constraint, since those OIDs are embedded in user tables
in some cases.

Back-patch as far as 9.5, because of the risk of back-patches breaking
something here even if it works in HEAD.  I'd prefer to go back further,
but 9.4 fails both assertions due to get_rel_infos()'s use of a temporary
table.  We can't use the later-branch solution of a CTE for compatibility
reasons (cf commit 5d16332e9), and it doesn't seem worth inventing some
other way to do the query.  (I did check, by dint of changing the Asserts
to elog(WARNING), that there are no other cases of unwanted OID assignments
during 9.4's regression test run.)

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/19785.1497215827@sss.pgh.pa.us

Branch
------
REL9_5_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/df6896c12e9804505f79c92746a663b60510e090

Modified Files
src/backend/catalog/catalog.c | 16 ++++++++++++++++
1 file changed, 16 insertions(+)