[COMMITTERS] pgsql: Replace over-optimistic Assert in partitioning code with arunti - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Replace over-optimistic Assert in partitioning code with arunti
Date
List pgsql-committers
Replace over-optimistic Assert in partitioning code with a runtime test.

get_partition_parent felt that it could simply Assert that systable_getnext
found a tuple.  This is unlike any other caller of that function, and it's
unsafe IMO --- in fact, the reason I noticed it was that the Assert failed.
(OK, I was working with known-inconsistent catalog contents, but I wasn't
expecting the DB to fall over quite that violently.  The behavior in a
non-assert-enabled build wouldn't be very nice, either.)  Fix it to do what
other callers do, namely an actual runtime-test-and-elog.

Also, standardize the wording of elog messages that are complaining about
unexpected failure of systable_getnext.  90% of them say "could not find
tuple for <object>", so make the remainder do likewise.  Many of the
holdouts were using the phrasing "cache lookup failed", which is outright
misleading since no catcache search is involved.

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e7941a976688f0f5d13a5227ed4f3efe0718db9d

Modified Files
contrib/sepgsql/database.c          | 2 +-
contrib/sepgsql/proc.c              | 4 ++--
contrib/sepgsql/relation.c          | 8 ++++----
contrib/sepgsql/schema.c            | 2 +-
src/backend/catalog/aclchk.c        | 4 ++--
src/backend/catalog/objectaddress.c | 2 +-
src/backend/catalog/partition.c     | 3 ++-
src/backend/commands/extension.c    | 9 +++++----
src/backend/utils/adt/ruleutils.c   | 2 +-