[COMMITTERS] pgsql: Reduce initial size of RelfilenodeMapHash. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Reduce initial size of RelfilenodeMapHash.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Reduce initial size of RelfilenodeMapHash.

A test case provided by Mathieu Fenniak shows that hash_seq_search'ing
this hashtable can consume a very significant amount of overhead during
logical decoding, which triggers frequent cache invalidation.  Testing
suggests that the actual population of the hashtable is often no more
than a few dozen entries, so we can cut the overhead just by dropping
the initial number of buckets down from 1024 --- I chose to cut it to 64.
(In situations where we do have a significant number of entries, we
shouldn't get any real penalty from doing this, as the dynahash.c code
will resize the hashtable automatically.)

This gives a further factor-of-two savings in Mathieu's test case.
That may be overly optimistic for real-world benefit, as real cases
may have larger average table populations, but it's hard to see it
turning into a net negative for any workload.

Back-patch to 9.4 where relfilenodemap.c was introduced.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CAHoiPjzea6N0zuCi=+f9v_j94nfsy6y8SU7-=bp4=7qw6_i=Rg@mail.gmail.com

Branch
------
REL9_5_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8a7506e048e3cc40db246526be66a256397a4920

Modified Files
src/backend/utils/cache/relfilenodemap.c | 2 +-