[COMMITTERS] pgsql: BRIN revmap pages are not standard pages ... - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject [COMMITTERS] pgsql: BRIN revmap pages are not standard pages ...
Date
List pgsql-committers
BRIN revmap pages are not standard pages ...

... and therefore we ought not to tell XLogRegisterBuffer the opposite,
when writing XLog for a brin update that moves the index tuple to a
different page.  Otherwise, xlog insertion would try to "compress the
hole" when producing a full-page image for it; but since we don't update
pd_lower/upper, the hole covers the whole page.  On WAL replay, the
revmap page becomes empty and so the entire portion of the index is
useless and needs to be recomputed.

This is low-probability: a BRIN update only moves an index tuple to a
different page when the summary tuple is larger than the existing one,
which doesn't happen with fixed-width datatypes.  Also, the revmap
page must be first after a checkpoint.

Report and patch: Kuntal Ghosh
Bug is alleged to have detected by a WAL-consistency-checking tool.
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CAGz5QCJ=00UQjScSEFbV=0qO5ShTZB9WWz_Fm7+Wd83zPs9Geg@mail.gmail.com

I posted a test case demonstrating the problem, but I'm refraining from
adding it to the test suite; if the WAL consistency tool makes it in,
that will be a better way to catch this from regressing.  (We should
definitely have someting that causes not-same-page updates, though.)

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/7403561c0f6a8c62b79b6ddf0364ae6c01719068

Modified Files
src/backend/access/brin/brin_pageops.c | 2 +-