[COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow SSL configuration to be updated at SIGHUP. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow SSL configuration to be updated at SIGHUP.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Allow SSL configuration to be updated at SIGHUP.

It is no longer necessary to restart the server to enable, disable,
or reconfigure SSL.  Instead, we just create a new SSL_CTX struct
(by re-reading all relevant files) whenever we get SIGHUP.  Testing
shows that this is fast enough that it shouldn't be a problem.

In conjunction with that, downgrade the logic that complains about
pg_hba.conf "hostssl" lines when SSL isn't active: now that's just
a warning condition not an error.

An issue that still needs to be addressed is what shall we do with
passphrase-protected server keys?  As this stands, the server would
demand the passphrase again on every SIGHUP, which is certainly
impractical.  But the case was only barely supported before, so that
does not seem a sufficient reason to hold up committing this patch.

Andreas Karlsson, reviewed by Michael Banck and Michael Paquier

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/556A6E8A.9030400@proxel.se

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/de41869b64d57160f58852eab20a27f248188135

Modified Files
--------------
doc/src/sgml/client-auth.sgml                 |   4 +-
doc/src/sgml/config.sgml                      |  84 ++++---
doc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml                     |  19 +-
src/backend/libpq/auth.c                      |  22 +-
src/backend/libpq/be-secure-openssl.c         | 315 +++++++++++++++++---------
src/backend/libpq/be-secure.c                 |  23 +-
src/backend/libpq/hba.c                       |  29 +--
src/backend/postmaster/postmaster.c           |  45 +++-
src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c                  |  18 +-
src/backend/utils/misc/postgresql.conf.sample |  15 +-
src/include/libpq/libpq-be.h                  |   3 +-
src/include/libpq/libpq.h                     |   2 +-
src/test/ssl/ServerSetup.pm                   |  58 +++--