[COMMITTERS] pgsql: Doc: improve index entry for "median". - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Doc: improve index entry for "median".
Date
List pgsql-committers
Doc: improve index entry for "median".

We had an index entry for "median" attached to the percentile_cont function
entry, which was pretty useless because a person following the link would
never realize that that function was the one they were being hinted to use.

Instead, make the index entry point at the example in syntax-aggregates,
and add a <seealso> link to "percentile".

Also, since that example explicitly claims to be calculating the median,
make it use percentile_cont not percentile_disc.  This makes no difference
in terms of the larger goals of that section, but so far as I can find,
nearly everyone thinks that "median" means the continuous not discrete
calculation.

Per gripe from Steven Winfield.  Back-patch to 9.4 where we introduced
percentile_cont.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20161223102056.25614.1166@wrigleys.postgresql.org

Branch
------
REL9_4_STABLE

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/090a3870aa4ed334a06a5cd81b74fde368ecf379

Modified Files
doc/src/sgml/func.sgml   |  3 ---
doc/src/sgml/syntax.sgml | 14 ++++++++++++--