[COMMITTERS] pgsql: Give a useful error message if uuid-ossp is built withoutprecon - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Give a useful error message if uuid-ossp is built withoutprecon
Date
List pgsql-committers
Give a useful error message if uuid-ossp is built without preconfiguration.

Before commit b8cc8f947, it was possible to build contrib/uuid-ossp without
having told configure you meant to; you could just cd into that directory
and "make".  That no longer works because the code depends on configure to
have done header and library probes, but the ensuing error messages are
not so easy to interpret if you're not an old C hand.  We've gotten a
couple of complaints recently from people trying to do this the low-tech
way, so add an explicit #error directing the user to use --with-uuid.

(In principle we might want to do something similar in the other
optionally-built contrib modules; but I don't think any of the others have
ever worked without preconfiguration, so there are no bad habits to break
people of.)

Back-patch to 9.4 where the previous commit came in.

Report: https://postgr.es/m/CAHeEsBf42AWTnk=1qJvFv+mYgRFm07Knsfuc86Ono8nRjf3tvQ@mail.gmail.com
Report: https://postgr.es/m/CAKYdkBrUaZX+F6KpmzoHqMtiUqCtAW_w6Dgvr6F0WTiopuGxow@mail.gmail.com

Branch
------