pgsql: Handle empty or all-blank PAGER setting more sanely in psql. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Handle empty or all-blank PAGER setting more sanely in psql.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Handle empty or all-blank PAGER setting more sanely in psql.

If the PAGER environment variable is set but contains an empty string,
psql would pass it to "sh" which would silently exit, causing whatever
query output we were printing to vanish entirely.  This is quite
mystifying; it took a long time for us to figure out that this was the
cause of Joseph Brenner's trouble report.  Rather than allowing that
to happen, we should treat this as another way to specify "no pager".
(We could alternatively treat it as selecting the default pager, but
it seems more likely that the former is what the user meant to achieve
by setting PAGER this way.)

Nonempty, but all-white-space, PAGER values have the same behavior, and
it's pretty easy to test for that, so let's handle that case the same way.

Most other cases of faulty PAGER values will result in the shell printing
some kind of complaint to stderr, which should be enough to diagnose the
problem, so we don't need to work harder than this.  (Note that there's
been an intentional decision not to be very chatty about apparent failure
returns from the pager process, since that may happen if, eg, the user
quits the pager with control-C or some such.  I'd just as soon not start
splitting hairs about which exit codes might merit making our own report.)

libpq's old PQprint() function was already on board with ignoring empty
PAGER values, but for consistency, make it ignore all-white-space values
as well.

It's been like this a long time, so back-patch to all supported branches.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CAFfgvXWLOE2novHzYjmQK8-J6TmHz42G8f3X0SORM44+stUGmw@mail.gmail.com

Branch
------
REL9_6_STABLE

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/bb39f58f76b43bf0ef234e1baaf824e2cb9c9210

Modified Files
doc/src/sgml/ref/psql-ref.sgml  | 5 +++--
src/fe_utils/print.c            | 6 ++++++
src/interfaces/libpq/fe-print.c | 3 ++-