pgsql: Make "postgres -C guc" print "" not "(null)" for null-valued GUC - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Make "postgres -C guc" print "" not "(null)" for null-valued GUC
Date
List pgsql-committers
Make "postgres -C guc" print "" not "(null)" for null-valued GUCs.

Commit 0b0baf262 et al made this case print "(null)" on the grounds that
that's what happened on platforms that didn't crash.  But neither behavior
was actually intentional.  What we should print is just an empty string,
for compatibility with the behavior of SHOW and other ways of examining
string GUCs.  Those code paths don't distinguish NULL from empty strings,
so we should not here either.  Per gripe from Alain Radix.

Like the previous patch, back-patch to 9.2 where -C option was introduced.

Discussion: <CA+YdpwxPUADrmxSD7+Td=uOshMB1KkDN7G7cf+FGmNjjxMhjbw@mail.gmail.com>

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e45e990e4b547f05bdb46e4596d24abbaef60043

Modified Files
src/backend/postmaster/postmaster.c | 2 +-