pgsql: Remember asking for feedback during walsender shutdown. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Andres Freund
Subject pgsql: Remember asking for feedback during walsender shutdown.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Remember asking for feedback during walsender shutdown.

Since 5a991ef8 we're explicitly asking for feedback from the receiving
side when shutting down walsender, if there's not yet replicated
data.

Unfortunately we didn't remember (i.e. set waiting_for_ping_response to
true) having asked for feedback, leading to scenarios in which replies
were requested at a high frequency.

I can't reproduce this problem on my laptop, I think that's because the
problem requires a significant TCP window to manifest due to the
!pq_is_send_pending() condition. But since this clearly is a bug, let's
fix it.  There's quite possibly more wrong than just this though.

While fiddling with WalSndDone(), I rewrote a hard to understand comment
about looking at the flush vs. the write position.

Reported-By: Nick Cleaton, Magnus Hagander