pgsql: Enable parallelism for prepared statements and extended query pr - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Robert Haas
Subject pgsql: Enable parallelism for prepared statements and extended query pr
Date
List pgsql-committers
Enable parallelism for prepared statements and extended query protocol.

Parallel query can't handle running a query only partially rather than
to completion.  However, there seems to be no way to run a statement
prepared via SQL PREPARE other than to completion, so we can enable it
there without a problem.

The situation is more complicated for the extend query protocol.
libpq seems to provide no way to send an Execute message with a
non-zero rowcount, but some other client might.  If that happens, and
a parallel plan was chosen, we'll execute the parallel plan without
using any workers, which may be somewhat inefficient but should still
work.  Hopefully this won't be a problem; users can always set
max_parallel_degree=0 to avoid choosing parallel plans in the first
place.

Amit Kapila, reviewed by me.

Branch
------