pgsql: Avoid multiple foreign server connections when all use same user - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Robert Haas
Subject pgsql: Avoid multiple foreign server connections when all use same user
Date
List pgsql-committers
Avoid multiple foreign server connections when all use same user mapping.

Previously, postgres_fdw's connection cache was keyed by user OID and
server OID, but this can lead to multiple connections when it's not
really necessary.  In particular, if all relevant users are mapped to
the public user mapping, then their connection options are certainly
the same, so one connection can be used for all of them.

While we're cleaning things up here, drop the "server" argument to
GetConnection(), which isn't really needed.  This saves a few cycles
because callers no longer have to look this up; the function itself
does, but only when establishing a new connection, not when reusing
an existing one.

Ashutosh Bapat, with a few small changes by me.

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/96198d94cb7adc664bda341842dc8db671d8be72

Modified Files
contrib/postgres_fdw/connection.c   | 27 +++++++++++++--------------
contrib/postgres_fdw/postgres_fdw.c | 28 ++++++++++------------------
contrib/postgres_fdw/postgres_fdw.h |  3 +--
src/backend/foreign/foreign.c       |  1 +
src/include/foreign/foreign.h       |  1 +