pgsql: Fix handling of inherited check constraints in ALTER COLUMN TYPE - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Fix handling of inherited check constraints in ALTER COLUMN TYPE
Date
List pgsql-committers
Fix handling of inherited check constraints in ALTER COLUMN TYPE (again).

The previous way of reconstructing check constraints was to do a separate
"ALTER TABLE ONLY tab ADD CONSTRAINT" for each table in an inheritance
hierarchy.  However, that way has no hope of reconstructing the check
constraints' own inheritance properties correctly, as pointed out in
bug #13779 from Jan Dirk Zijlstra.  What we should do instead is to do
a regular "ALTER TABLE", allowing recursion, at the topmost table that
has a particular constraint, and then suppress the work queue entries
for inherited instances of the constraint.

Annoyingly, we'd tried to fix this behavior before, in commit 5ed6546cf,
but we failed to notice that it wasn't reconstructing the pg_constraint
field values correctly.

As long as I'm touching pg_get_constraintdef_worker anyway, tweak it to
always schema-qualify the target table name; this seems like useful backup
to the protections installed by commit 5f173040.

In HEAD/9.5, get rid of get_constraint_relation_oids, which is now unused.
(I could alternatively have modified it to also return conislocal, but that
seemed like a pretty single-purpose API, so let's not pretend it has some
other use.)  It's unused in the back branches as well, but I left it in
place just in case some third-party code has decided to use it.

In HEAD/9.5, also rename pg_get_constraintdef_string to
pg_get_constraintdef_command, as the previous name did nothing to explain
what that entry point did differently from others (and its comment was
equally useless).  Again, that change doesn't seem like material for
back-patching.

I did a bit of re-pgindenting in tablecmds.c in HEAD/9.5, as well.

Otherwise, back-patch to all supported branches.

Branch
------
REL9_1_STABLE

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/60ba32cb5128571aec344288cc26986215becd67

Modified Files
src/backend/commands/tablecmds.c          |   47 ++++++-----
src/backend/utils/adt/ruleutils.c         |   71 ++++++++++------
src/test/regress/expected/alter_table.out |  125 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
src/test/regress/sql/alter_table.sql      |   31 ++++++-