pgsql: Fix status reporting for terminated bgworkers that were never st - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Robert Haas
Subject pgsql: Fix status reporting for terminated bgworkers that were never st
Date
List pgsql-committers
Fix status reporting for terminated bgworkers that were never started.

Previously, GetBackgroundWorkerPid() would return BGWH_NOT_YET_STARTED
if the slot used for the worker registration had not been reused by
unrelated activity, and BGWH_STOPPED if it had.  Either way, a process
that had requested notification when the state of one of its
background workers changed did not receive such notifications.  Fix
things so that GetBackgroundWorkerPid() always returns BGWH_STOPPED in
this situation, so that we do not erroneously give waiters the
impression that the worker will eventually be started; and send
notifications just as we would if the process terminated after having
been started, so that it's possible to wait for the postmaster to
process a worker termination request without polling.

Discovered by Amit Kapila during testing of parallel sequential scan.
Analysis and fix by me.  Back-patch to 9.4; there may not be anyone
relying on this interface yet, but if anyone is, the new behavior is a
clear improvement.

Branch
------
REL9_4_STABLE

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/76d07a2a0633836a82c43beb8ed3b08a64dc3d46

Modified Files
src/backend/postmaster/bgworker.c |   25 ++++++++++++++++++++++++-