pgsql: Allocate ParamListInfo once per plpgsql function, not once per e - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Allocate ParamListInfo once per plpgsql function, not once per e
Date
List pgsql-committers
Allocate ParamListInfo once per plpgsql function, not once per expression.

setup_param_list() was allocating a fresh ParamListInfo for each query or
expression evaluation requested by a plpgsql function.  There was probably
once good reason to do it like that, but for a long time we've had a
convention that there's a one-to-one mapping between the function's
PLpgSQL_datum array and the ParamListInfo slots, which means that a single
ParamListInfo can serve all the function's evaluation requests: the data
that would need to be passed is the same anyway.

In this patch, we retain the pattern of zeroing out the ParamListInfo
contents during each setup_param_list() call, because some of the slots may
be stale and we don't know exactly which ones.  So this patch only saves a
palloc/pfree per evaluation cycle and nothing more; still, that seems to be
good for a couple percent overall speedup on simple-arithmetic type
statements.  In future, though, we might be able to improve matters still
more by managing the param array contents more carefully.

Also, unify the former use of estate->cur_expr with that of
paramLI->parserSetupArg; they both were used to point to the active
expression, so we can combine the variables into just one.

Branch
------
master

Details