pgsql: Improve planning of btree index scans using ScalarArrayOpExpr qu - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Improve planning of btree index scans using ScalarArrayOpExpr qu
Date
List pgsql-committers
Improve planning of btree index scans using ScalarArrayOpExpr quals.

Since we taught btree to handle ScalarArrayOpExpr quals natively (commit
9e8da0f75731aaa7605cf4656c21ea09e84d2eb1), the planner has always included
ScalarArrayOpExpr quals in index conditions if possible.  However, if the
qual is for a non-first index column, this could result in an inferior plan
because we can no longer take advantage of index ordering (cf. commit
807a40c551dd30c8dd5a0b3bd82f5bbb1e7fd285).  It can be better to omit the
ScalarArrayOpExpr qual from the index condition and let it be done as a
filter, so that the output doesn't need to get sorted.  Indeed, this is
true for the query introduced as a test case by the latter commit.

To fix, restructure get_index_paths and build_index_paths so that we
consider paths both with and without ScalarArrayOpExpr quals in non-first
index columns.  Redesign the API of build_index_paths so that it reports
what it found, saving useless second or third calls.

Report and patch by Andrew Gierth (though rather heavily modified by me).
Back-patch to 9.2 where this code was introduced, since the issue can
result in significant performance regressions compared to plans produced
by 9.1 and earlier.

Branch
------
REL9_3_STABLE

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f6abf8f08ac36825e3cbcaf6ef923822e65877f4

Modified Files
src/backend/optimizer/path/indxpath.c      |  116 ++++++++++++++++++----------
src/test/regress/expected/create_index.out |   24 +++++-
src/test/regress/sql/create_index.sql      |   13 ++++