pgsql: Fix core dump in jsonb #> operator, and add regression test case - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Fix core dump in jsonb #> operator, and add regression test case
Date
List pgsql-committers
Fix core dump in jsonb #> operator, and add regression test cases.

jsonb's #> operator segfaulted (dereferencing a null pointer) if the RHS
was a zero-length array, as reported in bug #11207 from Justin Van Winkle.
json's #> operator returns NULL in such cases, so for the moment let's
make jsonb act likewise.

Also add a bunch of regression test queries memorializing the -> and #>
operators' behavior for this and other corner cases.

There is a good argument for changing some of these behaviors, as they
are not very consistent with each other, and throwing an error isn't
necessarily a desirable behavior for operators that are likely to be
used in indexes.  However, everybody can agree that a core dump is the
Wrong Thing, and we need test cases even if we decide to change their
expected output later.

Branch
------
REL9_4_STABLE

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/04db8747840f581177c6622008d2e42d3528f7fe

Modified Files
src/backend/utils/adt/jsonfuncs.c     |   16 ++-
src/test/regress/expected/json.out    |  185 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----
src/test/regress/expected/json_1.out  |  185 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----
src/test/regress/expected/jsonb.out   |  170 +++++++++++++++++++++++++-----
src/test/regress/expected/jsonb_1.out |  170 +++++++++++++++++++++++++-----
src/test/regress/sql/json.sql         |   49 +++++++--
src/test/regress/sql/jsonb.sql        |   55 +++++++---