pgsql: Reject duplicate column names in foreign key referenced-columns - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Reject duplicate column names in foreign key referenced-columns
Date
List pgsql-committers
Reject duplicate column names in foreign key referenced-columns lists.

Such cases are disallowed by the SQL spec, and even if we wanted to allow
them, the semantics seem ambiguous: how should the FK columns be matched up
with the columns of a unique index?  (The matching could be significant in
the presence of opclasses with different notions of equality, so this issue
isn't just academic.)  However, our code did not previously reject such
cases, but instead would either fail to match to any unique index, or
generate a bizarre opclass-lookup error because of sloppy thinking in the
index-matching code.

David Rowley

Branch
------