pgsql: Reject out-of-range numeric timezone specifications. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Reject out-of-range numeric timezone specifications.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Reject out-of-range numeric timezone specifications.

In commit 631dc390f49909a5c8ebd6002cfb2bcee5415a9d, we started to handle
simple numeric timezone offsets via the zic library instead of the old
CTimeZone/HasCTZSet kluge.  However, we overlooked the fact that the zic
code will reject UTC offsets exceeding a week (which seems a bit arbitrary,
but not because it's too tight ...).  This led to possibly setting
session_timezone to NULL, which results in crashes in most timezone-related
operations as of 9.4, and crashes in a small number of places even before
that.  So check for NULL return from pg_tzset_offset() and report an
appropriate error message.  Per bug #11014 from Duncan Gillis.

Back-patch to all supported branches, like the previous patch.
(Unfortunately, as of today that no longer includes 8.4.)

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6412f3e2d09b562fafc129c134e7336c4fe790ed

Modified Files
src/backend/commands/variable.c |    7 +++++++
src/timezone/pgtz.c             |    3 +++
2 files changed, 10 insertions(+)