pgsql: Improve generation algorithm for database system identifier. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Improve generation algorithm for database system identifier.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Improve generation algorithm for database system identifier.

As noted some time ago, the original coding had a typo ("|" for "^")
that made the result less unique than intended.  Even the intended
behavior is obsolete since it was based on wanting to produce a
usable value even if we didn't have int64 arithmetic --- a limitation
we stopped supporting years ago.  Instead, let's redefine the system
identifier as tv_sec in the upper 32 bits (same as before), tv_usec
in the next 20 bits, and the low 12 bits of getpid() in the remaining
bits.  This is still hardly guaranteed-universally-unique, but it's
noticeably better than before.  Per my proposal at
<29019.1374535940@sss.pgh.pa.us>

Branch
------
master