pgsql: Fix assorted issues in client host name lookup. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Fix assorted issues in client host name lookup.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Fix assorted issues in client host name lookup.

The code for matching clients to pg_hba.conf lines that specify host names
(instead of IP address ranges) failed to complain if reverse DNS lookup
failed; instead it silently didn't match, so that you might end up getting
a surprising "no pg_hba.conf entry for ..." error, as seen in bug #9518
from Mike Blackwell.  Since we don't want to make this a fatal error in
situations where pg_hba.conf contains a mixture of host names and IP
addresses (clients matching one of the numeric entries should not have to
have rDNS data), remember the lookup failure and mention it as DETAIL if
we get to "no pg_hba.conf entry".  Apply the same approach to forward-DNS
lookup failures, too, rather than treating them as immediate hard errors.

Along the way, fix a couple of bugs that prevented us from detecting an
rDNS lookup error reliably, and make sure that we make only one rDNS lookup
attempt; formerly, if the lookup attempt failed, the code would try again
for each host name entry in pg_hba.conf.  Since more or less the whole
point of this design is to ensure there's only one lookup attempt not one
per entry, the latter point represents a performance bug that seems
sufficient justification for back-patching.

Also, adjust src/port/getaddrinfo.c so that it plays as well as it can
with this code.  Which is not all that well, since it does not have actual
support for rDNS lookup, but at least it should return the expected (and
required by spec) error codes so that the main code correctly perceives the
lack of functionality as a lookup failure.  It's unlikely that PG is still
being used in production on any machines that require our getaddrinfo.c,
so I'm not excited about working harder than this.

To keep the code in the various branches similar, this includes
back-patching commits c424d0d1052cb4053c8712ac44123f9b9a9aa3f2 and
1997f34db4687e671690ed054c8f30bb501b1168 into 9.2 and earlier.

Back-patch to 9.1 where the facility for hostnames in pg_hba.conf was
introduced.

Branch
------
REL9_2_STABLE

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/029decfec6befe3bba14918590af5c998402ff08

Modified Files
src/backend/libpq/auth.c            |   28 +++++++++++++++++---------
src/backend/libpq/hba.c             |   34 +++++++++++++++++++++----------
src/backend/libpq/ip.c              |    5 -----
src/backend/postmaster/postmaster.c |   38 +++++++++++++++++++++--------------
src/include/getaddrinfo.h           |    3 +++
src/include/libpq/libpq-be.h        |   24 ++++++++++++++++------
src/port/getaddrinfo.c              |   17 ++++++++--------