pgsql: Fix refcounting bug in PLy_modify_tuple(). - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Fix refcounting bug in PLy_modify_tuple().
Date
List pgsql-committers
Fix refcounting bug in PLy_modify_tuple().

We must increment the refcount on "plntup" as soon as we have the
reference, not sometime later.  Otherwise, if an error is thrown in
between, the Py_XDECREF(plntup) call in the PG_CATCH block removes a
refcount we didn't add, allowing the object to be freed even though
it's still part of the plpython function's parsetree.

This appears to be the cause of crashes seen on buildfarm member
prairiedog.  It's a bit surprising that we've not seen it fail repeatably
before, considering that the regression tests have been exercising the
faulty code path since 2009.

The real-world impact is probably minimal, since it's unlikely anyone would
be provoking the "TD["new"] is not a dictionary" error in production, and
that's the only case that is actually wrong.  Still, it's a bug affecting
the regression tests, so patch all supported branches.

In passing, remove dead variable "plstr", and demote "platt" to a local
variable inside the PG_TRY block, since we don't need to clean it up
in the PG_CATCH path.

Branch
------
REL9_0_STABLE