pgsql: Improve libpq's error recovery for connection loss during COPY. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Improve libpq's error recovery for connection loss during COPY.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Improve libpq's error recovery for connection loss during COPY.

In pqSendSome, if the connection is already closed at entry, discard any
queued output data before returning.  There is no possibility of ever
sending the data, and anyway this corresponds to what we'd do if we'd
detected a hard error while trying to send().  This avoids possible
indefinite bloat of the output buffer if the application keeps trying
to send data (or even just keeps trying to do PQputCopyEnd, as psql
indeed will).

Because PQputCopyEnd won't transition out of PGASYNC_COPY_IN state
until it's successfully queued the COPY END message, and pqPutMsgEnd
doesn't distinguish a queuing failure from a pqSendSome failure,
this omission allowed an infinite loop in psql if the connection closure
occurred when we had at least 8K queued to send.  It might be worth
refactoring so that we can make that distinction, but for the moment
the other changes made here seem to offer adequate defenses.

To guard against other variants of this scenario, do not allow
PQgetResult to return a PGRES_COPY_XXX result if the connection is
already known dead.  Make sure it returns PGRES_FATAL_ERROR instead.

Per report from Stephen Frost.  Back-patch to all active branches.

Branch
------
REL9_1_STABLE

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/eb15f53c453ff1cbe8df1b1e324d0e57c329d31c

Modified Files
src/interfaces/libpq/fe-exec.c |   46 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------
src/interfaces/libpq/fe-misc.c |    2 ++