pgsql: Fix SSL deadlock risk in libpq - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Stephen Frost
Subject pgsql: Fix SSL deadlock risk in libpq
Date
List pgsql-committers
Fix SSL deadlock risk in libpq

In libpq, we set up and pass to OpenSSL callback routines to handle
locking.  When we run out of SSL connections, we try to clean things
up by de-registering the hooks.  Unfortunately, we had a few calls
into the OpenSSL library after these hooks were de-registered during
SSL cleanup which lead to deadlocking.  This moves the thread callback
cleanup to be after all SSL-cleanup related OpenSSL library calls.
I've been unable to reproduce the deadlock with this fix.

In passing, also move the close_SSL call to be after unlocking our
ssl_config mutex when in a failure state.  While it looks pretty
unlikely to be an issue, it could have resulted in deadlocks if we
ended up in this code path due to something other than SSL_new
failing.  Thanks to Heikki for pointing this out.

Back-patch to all supported versions; note that the close_SSL issue
only goes back to 9.0, so that hunk isn't included in the 8.4 patch.

Initially found and reported by Vesa-Matti J Kari; many thanks to
both Heikki and Andres for their help running down the specific
issue and reviewing the patch.

Branch
------
REL9_0_STABLE

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1ba5fe8dd4e35cba574858538c689aabdea25e73

Modified Files
src/interfaces/libpq/fe-secure.c |   24 ++++++++++++++++++++++--